This is a craft that I saw on Pinterest and did with my VPK class this Valentine’s Day. It would also work with Kindergarten, first, or second grade. The first and second graders would actually be able to do it completely themselves most likely.
2 colors of construction paper
tape or glue
1. Trace one of the child’s hands, or get them to trace each other’s hands if they are able.
2. Fold the paper in half and cut out the hand so that you have 2 hands.
3. Take the red construction paper and fold it like an acordian at least 10 times.
4. Draw a small heart on the paper after it is folded. Make sure the the sides of the heart actually go off the paper some.
5. Cut the heart out, BUT MAKE SURE that you leave a space on the left and right side of the heart! If you cut it too close together, then all the hearts will fall apart. If you make the mistake, you will see what you did wrong and most likely be able to correct it on your next attempt. I was able to get about 8-10 strands of hearts out of one piece of paper. Also, since you will be cutting through many layers, the kids will most likely not be able to use kid’s scissors. For my VPK kids, I cut out the hearts and hands for them.
6. Get the kids to write “I Love You…” on one hand. Then get them to write “…this much!!!” on the opposite side of the other hand.
7. Tape or glue one side of the hearts to the back of one hand and the other side of the hearts to the back of the other hand.
This is what it looks like from the inside.
This is what it will look like from the front.
It is such a fun and cute craft for the kids to do for their parents or grandparents. And they love pulling it apart and putting it together again!
I gave mine to my hubby. 🙂
Here is the link to the site where I saw it. They actually put the words “this much” on the accordian part and did not do hearts for the middle. Both ways are cute I think! And this site has other really great Valentine’s Day ideas that I will definitely be using in the future. Check it out! http://www.pbfingers.com/2013/02/08/budget-friendly-valentines-day-ideas/#